Monday, June 23, 2008

Alvin and the Danes

What is the Woodstar trying to tell me?

The Woodstar Cafe is the place that I go every morning for my multi-grain bagel and strawberry jam. You can also find me there most afternoons while I'm picking up lunch.

Three trips ago, I was in line, just finishing up my order, when I heard the man next to me leave his name. The Woodstar staff asks you your name so they can call it out when your food is ready. I wanted to make sure I heard right so I turned to him and said. "Is your name Alvin?". He said that is was.

"My brother's name is Alvin." I explained.

"Well, Alvin is a good name." He replied, "Not very many people have it."

Two trips ago, the woman next to me was placing her order and she had a very familiar accent. She sounded like my mother. I was considering asking her is she was Danish but she seemed pretty busy.

One trip ago, my sandwich was ready and they called out my name. "Henning!"

As I stepped up to the counter, a man turned to me and said, "That's a good Danish name isn't it?".

"Yes it is." I replied.

"Are you Danish?" He asked.

I told him that my mother is from Denmark and then relayed to him my story from that morning about the Danish sounding woman.

"I think there are only about three Danes in this area," he said.

No comments: