Friday, September 02, 2005

sightings

1) I was walking past the Subway near my apartment and saw their new campaign for a Cordon Bleu (??) sandwich. The slogan: "for some reason the words 'French' and 'chicken' just go together".
A little offensive? Call your Subway today. Someone tell Rachel Maddow (maybe I will).

2) At a college today, they had a "welcome freshmen" thing going on, and there was a collage of "news stories of 1987" on a wall. Why? I wondered for a second until I figured out--most of the freshmen were born in 1987.
In April 1987 I played drums in front of an audience for the first time. Middle School talent show (8th grade, me) and my band did (not my choice, thank you) an instrumental "Love Walks In" by sucky Van Halen Van Hagar.

Also in April 1987 I went to my first (of a whopping two) Grateful Dead show.

In December 1987 I played my first full rock gig--a battle of the bands.
I sang a lot and played drums. I sang "Break On Through" by the Doors, I think "Good Lovin" and maybe something else. I also did a drum solo (at my first gig? the hubris!) which bridged "Wipe Out" and "Break On Through". The Dead influence--segue from a song into a drum solo into a song). We came in second. We beat the Slayer-wanna-be band. That is the one tape of my past I lost and really regret it. I' dlike to hear my drum solo. Drum solo.

1 comment:

Mark Schwaber said...

You got me thinking...
1987. I was also in my first real bands. Yes, plural. I was in a chromosome challenged band called I.R.S. (Irritated Rectal Scar, for those of you wondering) and I was also in a straight-edge hardcore band called Wishful Thinking. The year before I broke my ankle in half playing first base at Rich Gedman baseball camp. Therefor ruining my chances at a UCONN scholorship for playing ball. Oh well. Doing drugs and playing punk rock was more fun anyway. I just found a picture of myself with that broken ankle...on the beach with it wrapped in a plastic trash bag. I was wearing a homemade, foam mesh Pajama Slave Dancers hat. At age 14. Anyway, thanks for bringing back some memories.