Tuesday, August 30, 2005

WRNXcuseme?!

So, last night, Lesa and I were driving home from Hadley after doing some last minute Transperformance shopping, and we were flipping through the radio stations. We came across that John Hiatt song about the guy getting tangled in his Telecaster. Not an amazing song or anything, but sometimes it gets stuck in my head, which I hate 'cause I'm not supposed to be walking around singing John Hiatt songs.

Anyway, the song was playing on WRNX (100.9FM) and, get this, they edited out the word "bastard"! It's a key part of the chorus so it happens over and over again, "He's just a mean old ----ard".

?!?!?!?!?

Is "bastard" that bad a word? It's so bad that a ROCK station can't play it?! What is going on?! WRNX is not a terribly bad station in general, they have some good DJs and they support local music and stuff, so I'd like to give them the benefit of the doubt and imagine that somehow the record label sent them the "John Hiatt for Uptight Prudes" version of the album by accident. I'm really hoping there is not something more insiduous going on ' cause I'm not sure you can call yourself a rock station and be afraid to broadcast the word "bastard" at the same time.

2 comments:

No Stand In Will Do said...

I'm still not clear on why you are "not supposed to be walking around singing John Hiatt songs." what gives? what are you supposed to be walking around doing? why not singing? why not singing any ol' song? i'm hung up on your hang up. please explain.

Henning said...

You are right. That was a weird thing for me to say. I should have said, "I'm not usually one to be walking around singing John Hyatt songs." It's not a matter of supposed-to or not-supposed-to. I'm just, in general, not a fan. That's all.

Simply walking around and singing is a big part of my day every day. It's just that I'm usually singing Def Leppard.