Thursday, May 13, 2004

Throughout the last 6 or 7 years, I have been littering the World Wide Web with information about my bands. There are all kind of little websites out there, some good and some bad, where you can add your band to listings or upload a few mp3s or have your music reviewed. Because I have been doing these things, I am constantly getting spam emails from people who are looking to exploit struggling musicians. Some offer promotions, some offer cd duplication, some are trying to sell spots on compilation disks (that will be sent to some of the biggest names in the music industry!), some offer books and advice on how to become a successful musician etc. It's usually pretty easy to tell which ones are mass-mailed to anybody and which ones are sent specifically to us. The mass-mailed ones outnumber the valid ones about 100 to 1.

Here's an example of a label that just sent me an email. They may be a great little label (I don't know because their website is down for a while) but, I can't imagine wanting to entrust my music to someone who would sent out an email as crazily-written as this:

"We Have heard your material & We are interested in releasing some of your music
worldwide. we feel that your music is unique? & your music has the potential to take the world by storm? .we are one of Tampa Florida indie labels, RPM Records We are seeking bands who have the drive, desire, and talent needed to go to the next level, & beyond. we think that your music has what it takes, Mail your promo package to:

RPM Records
12157 W Linebaugh Ave
#384
Tampa FL 33626

www.rpm-recordings.com
Email us at : rpmrecording@aol.com"


It doesn't exactly exude professionalism does it? Again, maybe I am being to judgemental, but if this is the kind of correspondence that they send out, why would I want to do business with them? I don't even know which band they are talking about. SFTD, The Fawns, The Aloha Steamtrain, Humbert? Sheesh.

No comments: