Tuesday, May 25, 2004

I feel like I haven't written much about SFTD lately. Well, soon there will be 3 new awesome songs that we're cookin' up each week at practice.

Today I will tell you about another funny live musical trip I went on last night.

It was Bob Dylan's 63rd birthday and Harry's was celebrating with a Dylan themed night, where various acts did anywhere from one to six Dylan songs. Philip and Flora did a couple, Fly By Brian did one, Seth Tripp did one, Dennis/Ken/Jose did one and Old Money and Supreme Dicks were the main attractions.

I was part of what was dubbed "Poncho Villa"--me on drums, Ken Maiuri on bass, Alex Johnson on guitar/pedal steel and Mark Mulcahy singing. We didn't practice one bit. Ken went over chord changes w/ Al and I came up with a beat for the drumless "Don't Think Twice it's Alright".
We also did "Quinn the Eskimo" (hearty singalong) and the highlight, Lay Lady Lay.
That's one of those songs where I pretty much know every drum nuance becuse I love Kenny Buttery's playing on it. He's played with everyone, including Neil Young (Harvest) and Michael Nesmith (his '68 Nashville sessions. )

Blah blah blah. It was good good fun.

No comments: