Monday, March 08, 2010

New Inspiration

I've been concentrating a bit more again on songwriting.  These things come in waves. Generally, I find myself with a few new songs anytime that a season starts changing.  This time, though, things seem a bit more planned out.  I've got a new challenge for myself.  It's a new project.  I don't want to talk about it yet.  I'm two-and-a-half songs in.  When I have eight or nine, maybe I'll start talking. 

It's fortuitous that during this same time, I've hosted this new open mic down at the World War II Club in Northampton.  I've got a lot of years of weekly open mic hosting under my belt.  I give those experiences most of the credit in my development at a performer.  I hosted the last two Sundays and was once again reminded how much I enjoy playing my songs for people, even if it is just me and my guitar on the stage. 

I've had a few nice discussions with people on those nights and have been complimented on my songs and my lyrics.  One nice gentleman even told me that he could tell I spent time on my writing.  It's nice to know that people are really listening and thinking about what I am doing.  It's inspired me a bit to keep on writing and trying to really finish this new project. 

But songwriting is a slow process for me.  I don't want any throw away lines or any rushed arrangements.  Each verse is a new challenge.  But thanks to all this new inspiration, these are challenges that I'm excited to approach.

No comments: