Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Where's the New Album?

Why does it take us so long to make a record?

There are a number of reasons. The first and biggest is that it takes me a lot of time to write songs. Or, well, let me rephrase that. It takes me a lot of time before I feel like a song is ready to be recorded. Sometimes the writing is very quick. But it is important to me that songs stand the test of time. I need to have them swimming around in my head for months and months before I feel like they are officially actual songs. I don't like to rush music. For me the songs have to be carefully and slowly formed and assessed.

Another reason that our records take so long is that everyone in the band is very busy. All the time.

The New You came out in 2002
Looks Like I'm Tall was done in 2006
A Telephone Built For Two was released in 2008

I'm getting antsy. I've got enough songs now for a solo album and a half as well as a new School for the Dead album. I think its time to start getting to work. I'll ask the boys what they think.

No comments: