Monday, May 11, 2009

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles - The Song

Are you all tired of me posting videos? Or is it OK? I think they'll be more of it to come, so I hope it's OK.

On Saturday night, I played a secret show in Easthampton, Massachusetts. It was an in-the-round or round-robin type performance with me, Jose Ayerve and Adam Greenberg. What that means is that we were all on stage at the same time each with a microphone and guitar. One performer would play a song and then the next would play a song and we would go around like that. Occasionally, the other two performers would chime in on harmonies or accompaniment. It was very casual and comfortable and the intimate room was pretty much full-up. The view from the stage reminded me of a TV show performance that you might have seen int he seventies or sixties. It was sort of like a Sesame Street thing where people were sitting in chairs, and sofas, and some were on the floor and some were perched up high on back cabinet. It was a really nice group of people. There were snacks and drinks and outside a thunderstorm swept through.

In the beginning the show was a bit nerve wracking but as it progressed and a few jokes were cracked I was able to really relax and just enjoy the event. Not only did I get to play my songs for a very attentive crowd but I also got to see wonderful performances by Jose and Adam. I've played in bands with both of them in the past and I'm a big fan of both of their work. Adam and I even pulled out one of the old Greenbergs songs we used to play. Of course, I used to play keyboard in that band, but luckily I still had my old cheat sheets so I was able to chime in on acoustic guitar while Adam played bass. The song was "Overcalculating". Jose displayed a whole mess of new tunes, all of them just felt like incredible hits to me and I can't wait to hear them again in a band context. I don't know if they will become Spouse songs or Nuclear Waste Management songs but either way, I'll be happy. One in particular jumped out at me. I don't know the title but it seemed to be written from the perspective of a rock star's boyfriend. We finished the night with a cover of Matthew Sweet's "Winona" which has always been a favorite of mine.

I played a mixture of old and new songs. This one here is, well, I guess its not new anymore, though it hasn't yet made it to an album. I suppose it'll be on my next solo record whenever that happens. Here's a video, it's called "Planes, Trains, and Automobiles" and yes, it's about the movie.

No comments: