Thursday, October 26, 2006

just have to write something

I feel I'd be remiss to not actually put in my 2 cents on Bijou.
Born July 2004 (we gave her the birthday of July 21 because she was as Leo as she was Cancer sometimes). When we got her at the shelter her name was Molly. She caught my eye with her green eyes and won our hearts with her immediately cuddly, purring ways.
At home, when we'd call her she'd come in to the room with a "rrrr??" which we translated to "yes?". Everytime we'd pet her unexpectedly she'd make a happy "rrr.." (= "oooh..") and when she'd surprise us by jumping on a lap or a tummy she'd also land with a funny "rrr!!" (="weee!").

At first I appreciated her on a very surface level--with no emotional strings attatched. After all, I was still getting over 5 years of marianne. But Bijou just proved on a daily basis that she could do no worng, that she was simply put here to make Marisa and me happy--and vice versa. After a couple weeks of letting Marisa take the lead parenting role, I could resist no longer and became a hands-on loving dad. She was an angel in every way.

There are a few weird spooky aspects to Bijou's short existence and sudden demise. Marisa and I sometimes thought "she's too perfect. The other shoe must drop sometime. Maybe she's a con artist and is secretly taking money out of our bank accounts online while we're at work.".
Other strange coincdences: Marisa had a professional encounter with a pet urn dealer very recently. (by the way, we are going to get Bijou's ashes--unrelated). As well as being offered a new kitten by a friend.

On her last night Bijou was very cuddly which was great on the cold night.
That morning was just the same as any. But I was a little slow in the brain after a Lo Fine practice ran late the night before.
When I got to work I realized I'd forgotten my wallet of all things. Not good. Never done that before. So my first library stop was back to my apartment. Bijou greeted me at the door and I grabbed my wallet, gave her a quick pet between the ears and was off in 10 seconds. For all I know she died as soon as I left.
Eight hours later I was home again just for a minute before meeting marisa for dinner. And there she was near the same spot that I gave her that last pet. And she'd been there a while. But, nothing grusome, nothing odd. Just laying peacefully. Shaking, I called Marisa.
I called the cat hospital (where she'd passed her exam just fine a month ago). They had me call the 24 hour place in Deerfield.
Eventually we got ourselves together enough to wrap her up and go.
There, we were able to say a final goodbye before they did the autopsy.
All we know now is that she didn't suffer, it was quick, she didn't eat any poison or chew on a wire, and actually, it was very odd. Could be because of her petite frame her organs weren't up to snuff.
We'd like to believe that she was indeed too good to be true.
Thanks, Bijou, for a magical 2 months of love, warmth and smiles. Thanks for making my crappy Florence apartment a source of happiness. Thank god I'm getting out in 4 days.
And to the Great Cat in the Sky, I submit to you, please--cut it out. I like cats. I want to keep them 'till they're old and so am I. And I'm jealous you have 2 of the best ones ever now.

3 comments:

debl said...

Holy shit! Brian, I am so sorry. That is terrible, and truly bizarre. You have my sympathy.

Anonymous said...

There is nothing else to say but: That f**king sucks.

Very heartfelt condolences from me, my wife our cats and dog.

Peace and blessings to Bijou (and Marianne)

Rick said...

I already commented below, This is awful. Sarah and I both send our love. You know.