Monday, October 30, 2006

Halloweak

I just made a doctor's appointment for tomorrow. The recepionist said, "You'll have to wear a costume, it's Halloween." I replied, "I'll be dressed as a sick guy."

It's been a crazy week-long haze of sinus-inner-ear chaos. I missed some days at work. I've been finding it difficult to do much more than lift my head off the pillow or sofa-back. At times, I found myself watching something on TV that I didn't want to necessarily see, just because it seemed too much to lean forward to reach the remote control. I didn't want to increase the dizzy-nausea-motion sickness.

By the end of the week things started to look up a bit. During the latter part of each day I started to feel a bit better. I went to work on Friday and then slept 12 hours Friday night. On Saturday, I was in some turmoil - feelign worse than ever. How was I going to play a Halloween show feeling like this? My patience and irritability factors were at an all time high.

Luckily, drinking endless glasses of water and eating a wonderful home-cooked meal by Lesa got me into a place where I could just muster the energy. I got into my bunny costume, loaded the car and headed to The Basement. I found that I felt a bit better if I just distracted myself by staying occupied with othe ractivities besides thinking about how crappy I felt. So I dove into setting up a bunch of rope lights around the little venue and setting up the microphones and cables and amps and getting a sound out of the little P.A.

Soon enough we were playing our show. I was scattered in my performance, often times singing wrong lyrics or switching verses etc, but overall I think we were good. The crowd was just about 50/50 when it came to costumes, half in and half out. Here are the costumes that I can remember. Guy sleeping in the corner (5th prize), 1950's Mom complete with plate of home-baked coolies (4th prize), a very crazy woman, I.E. Lord Russ in drag (3rd prize), a skeezy fat guy in a jogging suit (2nd prize), a full home-made felt bird (1st prize) - congratulations Debbie Way.

Also, an 80's punk girl with amazing make-up - straight out of Repo-Man.
An aspiring country singer-songwriter named Lorlene Starlight.
Peace in Iraq in the form of a couple - the woman in a burqa, the man as a cowboy.
Another guy in drag.
Two priests.
A blue girl.
Harry Potter.
A girl in overalls with a black eye.
Others I can't remember.

The band was this:
Brian: 50's husband who liked to predict the future.
Tony: 80's guy listening to Duran Duran on a Walkman.
Max: Ghost
Me: Bunny

We played a long, long show and it was almost entirely fun. The audience was great. They even got us to do an encore. Thanks everyone. I felt much better after the music.

No comments: