Thursday, March 02, 2006

Murmurmururmurmurmurmurmur

Han from the Invisible Cities hipped me to this cool lookin' book by J. Niimi. It's all about R.E.M.'s amazing album "Murmur" (one of my top ten of all time). Here's what Amazon says about it:
"Book Description
R.E.M.’s debut album, released in 1983, was so far removed from the prevailing trends of American popular music that it still sounds miraculous and out of time today. J. Niimi tells the story of the album’s genesis – with fascinating input from Don Dixon and Mitch Easter. He also investigates Michael Stipe’s hypnotic, mysterious lyrics, and makes the case for Murmur as a work of Southern Gothic art."

When I was playing Mountain Stage with The Winterpills, we hung out a bit with Don Dixon. It's strange... the people you meet in life. Here's me talking to Don Dixon about music when so much of the direction of my musical tastes and knowledge was formed because of his work with R.E.M.

Anyway, I'm thinking about getting this book. Looks like there's one for the Replacements, "Let It Be", too. Who's got time for reading about listening? Me? I don't know, I'm kind of busy writing about reading about listening. And rereading what I wrote.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://www.33third.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Colin Meloy of the decemberists wrote the Replacements one.